Genius Hour with Zahra

BRIDAL HENNA

Illustrating Full Portrait (Charcoal)

This week I will be using the skills I have learned over the past 4 weeks to create this portrait. (The portrait is of Turkish actress Ozge Torer) To begin with, I used proportions and then built my way up by using shading and depth. Here is my portrait compared to the reference:

Note: The drawing is much more close up than the reference. This is because the photo was altered for printing.

After finshing the portrait, I felt that the portrait ended up looking chalk-like and not defined. I think this is because of using charcoal instead of graphite and that the paper used was heavily textured. Next time, I would make sure to use paper without texture. However, the portrait still had resemblence of Ozge Torer and the proportions were accurately drawn. I was very happy with how shadows were placed to create depth. Another change I would make is making the eyes width slightly thinner. This portrait also took me much longer than I anticipated, spending more than seven hours to create it. The time was also a great problem as it set me behind where I should currently be at in my genius hour. Overall, I think that my portrait was very well done however I would use paper without texture and make the eyes slightly thinner.

zahraott22 • January 25, 2023

Previous Post

Next Post